For first time floaters we will walk you through the basic steps to floating when you arrive so that you will feel comfortable with the process. Please arrive 15 minutes before your float. So that you are best prepared and ready to enjoy your float even more, please read our recommendations below before you arrive and sign your online waiver (we will email you the link).
GREAT THINGS TO KNOW
For the float room –
- Earplugs (you’re welcome to bring your own)
- Shampoo/conditioner/body wash
- Skin salve for covering small skin scratches
Post float –
- Hair dryer
- Naturally caffeine-free tea
- Space, support, encouragement and humour
Please bring as little with you as practical. If you bring a phone you will be asked to turn it off and leave it with staff or you could always always leave it in the car. It’s so nice to forget the outside world as well as removing distractions for others.
- You will be in your own private suite which consists of a shower suite and a private float room
- Floating naked is the best! This ensures minimal sensory stimulation on skin and body but swimwear would be an alternative if you’re uncomfortable with this notion.
- You have full control of the lights. To ease our floaters into darkness we have a special star light option. We highly recommend it
- Do not add anything to the water
- Do not smoke, drink or eat in the suite room or float room or use perfumed products.
BEFORE YOU FLOAT
There are a few things to bear in mind before you arrive to maximise your floating experience.
These preparations are only suggestions so that you can maximise your rewards. They are in no way a prerequisite to float.
- A light meal a couple of hours prior
- Being well hydrated means your muscles can fully relax and your neural pathways are well lubricated and abstaining from drinking in the hour leading up to your float means you won’t be disturbed by a full bladder!
- Meditation – to enter the float room with a quiet mind is the ultimate, allowing maximum time in theta brain state (the brain waves associated with healing and creativity)
- Setting an intention – we will provide you the opportunity to do this when you arrive. This sets the groundwork for maximising your time in the float room
- Personally are experiencing symptoms of contagious illness including cold and flu viruses
- In the last 14 days have had COVID-19 or have had contact with someone who has or is displaying symptoms.
- Are intoxicated by alcohol or drugs
- Recently had caffeine (e.g. in the last few hours) so that your mind can be at it’s quietest
- Shaved, waxed on the day of your float, or are severely sun burnt because the salt really stings and you won’t be at all relaxed
- Dyed your hair with a water based dye within a couple of weeks prior to floating. Noteworthy, as you’ll waste your salon experience and it will cost you $1500 in cleaning and downtime fees to empty and refill the tank.
- Have eaten a large meal or nothing at all as you will be uncomfortable or distracted by the sounds of your gargling stomach
- Are pregnant and you have not received permission from your health care practitioner
- Are suffering from an unstable mental health condition, such as psychosis or have suicidal tendencies
- Have extremely low blood pressure
- Have a severe skin condition (eczema) or a contagious disease or infectious skin condition
- It has been less than two weeks since you experienced gastroenteritis/diarrhoea
- Have had chemotherapy (you will need to wait 2 months)
- Have open or bleeding wounds – small scratches are okay covered with salve (provided)
- Suffer from incontinence or uncontrolled epilepsy.
AFTER YOU FLOAT
You will find that each float experience is different, sometimes subtly and other times more distinctly. If you are partaking in our Introductory Float Package then you will be floating three times in close succession. The video below briefly describes what you might expect from each of your floats based on the most common observations.
This video is currently being updated. Please check back shortly.
A QUIET MIND CURETH ALL